Nathan Crane is a member of the firm’s Criminal Defense Practice Group and SCM's Snow Trial Services team. His practice focuses on achieving optimal outcomes for individuals accused of white collar crimes. Nathan also defends doctors and other professionals before DOPL and he defends governmental entities in civil rights cases.
Nathan has successfully conducted jury trials in both state and federal courts in several states. He has argued criminal appeals before the Nevada Supreme Court and the U.S. Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. To date, he has participated in 24 felony jury trials and multiple misdemeanor trials.
Nathan serves on the executive committee of the Utah Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. For the past three years, he has co-chaired the FBA’s annual Criminal Law Seminar. He is also an adjunct associate professor at the University of Utah School of Law, where he teaches trial courses on the rules of evidence and on white collar crime.
Because of his experience in the area of federal criminal law, in 2008 Nathan testified as an expert witness on U.S. criminal law in a case before the Central Criminal Court in Dublin, Ireland.
Prior to his private law practice, Nathan was an assistant U.S. Attorney in the District of Nevada and a Deputy District Attorney in Clark County, Nevada. In these positions he prosecuted more than 1,000 felony cases – including white collar crime, fraud and violent crimes. His extensive experience as a prosecutor provides a unique perspective in creating the best defense for his clients.
Nathan is a member of the Federal Criminal Justice Act Panel. In this role, he is often appointed to defend indigent defendants in criminal court. Nathan has been a legal commentator on KSL Radio’s “The Night Side Project.”
For more information on Nathan Crane's practice click here.
Helped secure the return of over $809,000 seized by the government to the client in a high-profile case.
Obtained dismissal of all sexual assault charges prior to trial.
Obtained release from custody and six months of probation for juvenile selling drugs in a high school.
Negotiated a plea in abeyance, return of all property seized, and eventual dismissal of all charges for client accused of running illegal gaming machines in a high-profile case.
Secured the return of the clients vehicle that was seized by federal agents.
Obtained a hung jury in a high-profile, eight-week, felony trial in Miami, Florida for client charged with major fraud against the United States.
Obtained client’s release from custody pending appeal.
Obtained client’s release from custody, pending trial, in multiple cases.
Obtained probation for client charged with possession of child pornography.
Obtained dismissal of all causes of action against client in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Obtained acquittal after three-day jury trial for doctor accused of insurance fraud.
Obtained dismissal of dating violence protective order that had been filed against client.
Obtained an order vacating the conviction and dismissing the case of a client that retained me after being convicted.
Obtained a dismissal of all charges prior to trial for juvenile charged with using a knife in a fight at school.
Obtained probation for client charged with multiple drug trafficking felonies.
Obtained dismissal of four felonies after conducting a preliminary hearing.
Obtained dismissal of temporary protective order.
Obtained probation, in high-profile case, for former elected official charged with communications fraud.
Obtained a dismissal, in a high-profile case, of all charges prior to trail for client accused of starting a large fire.
Obtained a reduction of charges from two felonies to misdemeanor and probation.
Presentations & Publications
- Speaker, Preserving The Chain of Custody for Trial Evidence, Governmental Law Seminar, 2015
- Speaker, You Have Received A Subpoena For Your Client's Records, Now What?, Avoiding Legal Trouble for Accountants CPA Seminar, 2013
- Moderator, Points and Pointers Regarding Bureau of Prison Placement, Federal Bar Association, Criminal Law Seminar, 2013
- Speaker, Law Enforcement: Warrantless Search and Seizure, Governmental Law Seminar, 2013
- Speaker, Ethics Presentation - The Sarbanes-Oxley Act: Avoiding Obstruction of Justice, Federal Bar Association, Criminal Law Seminar, 2012
- Speaker, Advising Clients Facing Federal Criminal Charges, Federal Bar Association, Southern Utah Law Symposium, 2012
- Speaker, Interdiction Tactics - Nevada Highway Patrol, Nevada, 2008
- Speaker, Methamphetamine: A Deadly Drug – Boy Scouts of America, 2008
- Speaker, Laws of Arrest: Miranda and Terry Stops – Nevada Department of Public Safety, 2007
- Speaker, Search and Seizure – Henderson Police Department, Nevada, 2007
- Speaker, Narcotics Laws and Clandestine Methamphetamine Labs – Nevada Department of Public Safety, Nevada, 2007
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Utah Bar Association
- Utah Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Federal Bar Association - Chair, Criminal Law Section
- Federal Bar Association Utah Chapter - Executive Committee Member
- Criminal Justice Act Panel
- American Society of Trial Consultants
- Volunteer Coach - Youth Basketball, Football, and Soccer
Honors / Awards / Unique Recognition
- Recognized as Utah Legal Elite by Utah Business Magazine
- Recognized as a Utah Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine
- National Trial Lawyers: 40 Under 40, invited for national membership
Unique Recognition - Education
- Undergraduate: Utah State University, 2001
Golden Key National Honors Society
- Defending Utah's former Attorney General
- Defending bicycle manufacturer against trademark infringement lawsuit
- Defending global drug manufacturer in Utah
- Defending a limited liability company
- 28 SCM Criminal Defense Supreme Court reverses convictions of real estate developers